Two of my favourite athletics events are the Island Games and the Parish Walk. Both are outstanding and unique events in their own right, and both bring great pride in being Manx.
The Island Games is the only Track and Field event (other than the Commonwealth Games) when a team of our best athletes have the opportunity to represent the Isle of Man. There’s always a very strong feeling of pride in competing for or supporting the Isle of Man, and no better feeling than seeing the Three Legs flying high and hearing “Land of Our Birth” being played to celebrate a gold medal.
The Parish Walk has become much more than a sporting event over the past ten years; it is now a Manx institution which attracts an entry in excess of 1500. Everyone knows about the Parish Walk. Even if you have never competed in it, you will almost certainly have a family member, work colleague or friend who has done, and who talks about it endlessly! I’ve taken part many times and am proud to have completed the full 85 miles back in 2000. I’ve never had the desire to do the full distance again (I won't forget how much the last 20 miles hurt!), but have had a blast to Peel or Rushen a few times since during my race walking days.
![]() |
| The sight we're looking forward to seeing in the Isle of Wight this summer - the Isle of Man flag at the top! (Photo Anthony Brand) |
The Parish Walk has become much more than a sporting event over the past ten years; it is now a Manx institution which attracts an entry in excess of 1500. Everyone knows about the Parish Walk. Even if you have never competed in it, you will almost certainly have a family member, work colleague or friend who has done, and who talks about it endlessly! I’ve taken part many times and am proud to have completed the full 85 miles back in 2000. I’ve never had the desire to do the full distance again (I won't forget how much the last 20 miles hurt!), but have had a blast to Peel or Rushen a few times since during my race walking days.
![]() |
| Well, it's my blog, so I'll remind myself that I wasn't that bad an athlete a few years ago! Heading up the Ballakillowey climb on the way to recording 5 hours 48 minutes for the 32.5 miles to Peel in the 2003 Parish Walk. Never mind lifting - both feet seem to be in contact with the ground here! (Photo Murray Lambden for http://www.parishwalk.com/) |
I can’t remember the last time I was off the island on Parish Walk weekend, but this year I will be. To be precise, I’ll be in the Isle of Wight for the start of the Island Games. I think it’s a real shame that the two events clash this year, and not just for selfish reasons because I won’t be able to watch or take part in the Parish. They are two events that receive huge media coverage both on the radio and in the press (and sometimes on TV too), but because they clash this year the coverage of both will inevitably be diluted.
The sports editor at Isle of Man Newspapers, John Watterson, is extremely dismayed by the clash, and he will be forced to choose between staying on the island to cover the Parish or travelling to the Isle of Wight for the full week. I think he favours going to the Games as planned, and so would I if I was in his position. Manx Radio's sports reporters will be faced with the same problem. Either way, the coverage of both events is going to suffer to a degree this year and it’s a real shame.
I'll have to be up bright and early on the Sunday morning to watch the Half Marathon which starts at 9.30, but I don't think I'll have had much sleep the night before. It's a fair bet that I'll be following the online coverage of the Parish until well into the early hours!


No comments:
Post a Comment