Pages

Monday, 1 August 2011

Memories in photos - Part 3

This is the third and final part of the slightly offbeat photographic feature looking back at a memorable week on the Isle of Wight for the Isle of Man athletics team. This one focusses largely on the team's accommodation at the Fort Holiday Park in Sandown.

The final photograph relates to the two DVDs I am in the process of putting together from my many hours of video footage of the week's athletics action. I completed the first one yesterday and hope to get the second one done by next weekend. In total there will be about four and a quarter hours of footage featuring every event (including heats) involving Isle of Man athletes. Every medal ceremony involving the Isle of Man is included too, along with several interviews and lots more.

I am taking orders for these now, so if you would like the 2-DVD set (filmed, produced and edited by Meerkat Productions!!) please get in touch - email griffmuss@manx.net. Just as for the Aland ones two years ago I do not want any personal payment for these, but I would like to suggest that for each order a minimum donation of £15 is made to the Isle of Man Athletics Association (cheques payable to IOMAA). All the money taken will go into the "Bermuda 2013 fund", which needs every penny it can get to try and keep costs down!!  


In 2005, the team stayed on a cruise ship, in 2007 in a 4-star hotel, and in 2009 in a school. In the Isle of Wight in 2011 they stayed on a caravan park, generally with six sharing a caravan. The living rooms were quite spacious...

... and the kitchens reasonably well equipped...

...whilst the sleeping quarters could best be described as very cosy!

There was plenty of room for Kevin Loundes to stretch his legs the evening before the Half Marathon...

... and plenty of scope for the team to mingle outside...

...while Ciara and Rachael find a novel form of transport!

You discover all sorts of things about people during Island Games week. I never really had Ben Brand down as an animal lover!

I'm not sure whether Mikey Haslett is having a shot at goal or honing his hurdling technique here!

There were a few clowns around the place too!

The team were fed in the on-site pub, which was closed to the public for food during the week. The portions on the first evening were not exactly over-generous, but improved a lot during the week...

...although perhaps not quite to the quality to be found at the Boat House near Ryde!! 

I have now competed the first of two DVDs, which in total capture four and a quarter hours of action from the athletics competition. Hopefully the second DVD will be finished this week. Every event involving an Isle of Man athlete is featured, including heats. Every medal ceremony with Manx interest is included, along with several of the interviews given to Manx Radio and plenty more.

No comments:

Post a Comment